Wednesday, April 24, 2019

First Horse Inspection!

We had to decide whether to go to Keeneland or the first horse inspection. After about 30 seconds, we both decided that we are here for NOT-ROLEX, dammit....so after a leisurely morning, we stopped by Quillins (which is a not-Rolex necessity), but because their halters are so freaking amazing, I didn't need another one...so I bought a little purse I'd looked at last year.

Once at the Horse Park, we realized we forgot Laura's super-cool parking hanger, so I whipped out my Worker hanger and we parked by Alltech Arena. We were there two hours before the jog was scheduled, so we decided to walk the course (actually, I told Laura, who's been JOGGING every morning, that I was old and crippled, so we would have to saunter/limp slowly, and she was ok with that). FWIW, she does a marvelous course walk, talking about how each fence should be ridden. I decided I might be able to jump fence 1....everything else was a no-go for me.

Ralph Hill looking chipper!

Almost immediately we ran into Ralph Hill, who also does a hell of a course walk (we met him at fence 3, and he said EXACTLY what Laura said about fences 1 and 2--Bad Eventer FTW!). I said howdy from my old trainer Kathleen Zins, and from Grit High who helped me shop for a horse once, and he lit up. It's good to think about old friends.

We made it to the main water complex (the Head of the Lake) before it was time for us to limp over to the Horse Inspection area.





Will Faudree and PFun:  Accepted!
There were surprisingly few people to watch the jog. I mean, there were people, but not packed like sardines, which it has been in the past. All of the horses looked fabulous, and only three were held...and of that, only one (Tactical Maneuver, ridden by Ashley Johnson). My thoughts go out to her; that has to be a tough call to hear.


After we left, we headed to Oscar Diggs, owned by Ralph Quillin, and had a lovely dinner and local brews. At home, there was more Bourbon to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment